What Will I Learn?
The Clinical Debriefer Course provides the tools to help you effectively design, implement, and evaluate a clinical debriefing program within your institution. This immersive, 5-week course focuses on applying concepts from patient safety and implementation science to build an effective clinical event debriefing program. The course highlights critical elements that drive change within organizations using Kotter’s 8-Step Change Model.
Important elements covered include:
- Establishing a sense of urgency by understanding the “why” of clinical event debriefing.
- Building teams of champions to create a local culture of debriefing.
- Creating a vision of the "who, what, where, when, and how" of debriefing.
- Empowering learners with techniques for how to debrief in busy clinical settings.
- Communicating your vision to empower action within organizations.
- Incorporating data to make change stick.
- Promoting sustainability by demonstrating value.
Who should register?
- Healthcare professionals – doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, paramedics, social workers, and other allied healthcare professionals.
- Healthcare educators, researchers and administrators.
- Prior experience in debriefing is an asset (but not a requirement) for registration.
How will you learn?
The Clinical Debriefer Course is an immersive and thought-provoking experience.
- Five sessions over five consecutive weeks, hosted on The Debriefing Academy Zoom platform.
- Each session is 2 ½ hours with one 15-minute break at the halfway point.
- All faculty have extensive experience with implementing clinical debriefing in their diverse local settings and have published in this field.
- Each course has a participant to faculty ratio of 3:1, with a maximum enrollment of only 24 participants. This creates a personalized environment so we can understand and meet the needs of every participant.
- The majority of each session’s time will feature highly interactive small group sessions that follow brief didactic presentations.
- Small group Zoom breakout rooms with expert modelling, listening, and feedback from world-renowned faculty will help guide effective implementation.
- Large group discussions to share lessons learned in the small group and reinforce peer-to-peer learning.
- Videos to highlight and demonstrate new concepts in action .
- Before each of the sessions, you will have access to podcasts, videos, seminal articles, and/or interactive worksheets on the Debriefing Academy Learning Management System. These investments in your educational experience will enhance the small group breakout discussions and provide opportunities for faculty and your peers to give you individualized feedback.
Where will you learn?
The Clinical Debriefer Course will be hosted on The Debriefing Academy Zoom platform. Our open, versatile, and interactive on-line learning space is designed to promote innovation, collaboration and networking.
Why should you register?
- Because you believe in the power of learning conversations.
- Because you believe clinical event debriefings can lead to positive changes in healthcare.
- Because you are passionate about clinical event debriefing.
- To learn as part of a diverse community of other healthcare professionals